Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"Pet" Materials

The two materials that I want to research farther are high-density polyethylene (HDPE) and cement.  I'm using HDPE in my senior design project and it seems to be a very stout and definitely lightweight material, so I thought it would be interesting to look farther into that one.  Cement pretty much revolutionized architecture, and was widely used by the Romans, so I thought it would also be interesting to research that material.

When it comes to sustainability, both of these materials employ the use of nonrenewable resources.  HDPE, like all plastics, is derived from petroleum, which we all know is depleting.  Also like most plastics, HDPE is not biodegradable.  Cement requires the mining of several minerals such as limestone, or some other source of calcium, therefore imposing the depletion of these natural resources.  

No comments:

Post a Comment